Friday, November 11, 2011

Untitled - 5/27/87

[I used the names of real people in this story! Oops!]

One day A came home depressed. She had been busy as a bee that day. She had just returned from a hard day at school and soccer practice. Her best friend, W had just told her she didn't want to be A's best friend anymore. They got in to a fight on their way home. (They have a carpool home from school). A flopped down on the couch and turned on the TV. Another terrible thing happened - a long newsbreak was interrupting "Guiding Light". She went into the kitchen to get something to eat. In the refrigerator was a drab combonation of fruits, vegetables, jars full of who knows what, milk, and fruit juice. Nothing, at that point, looked appetizing. Then the phone rang. She hoped desperately it was W, but it only rang once, and no one was on the other line when she answered.

Two hours later, A's homework was done. She hadn't heard from W yet, and she didn't know what to do. Luckily, her older sister, J, was in the room next door. "J," she asked. "Can I talk to you?" J responded with a yes, and A proceeded into the room. J was working on her homework when A asked what she should do about W.

"Well," J responded, "tell me what happened."

"You see, I really like an 8th grader named C. He is really gorgeous, and he let me ride his motorcycle a couple times. He is really nice and I think he likes me, too. We went to the movies for two Fridays in a row and we had a great time. I had no idea that W liked him, and furthermore, she's going out with a junior. Well anyway, C wrote me a note, and gave it to me between 6th and 7th period, and W saw it. Until the end of school, she didn't say a word to me. On the way home in the car, I opened the note and read it. I noticed W looking at it, and since I found it personal, I turned with my back to the car door so she couldn't read it, and she says, 'Why did you do that? Were you afraid I was going to read your love letter?' I said no, and she gave me this dirty look, and said, 'You know I like C, and you're just trying to make me jealous!' Right then we were already to our house, so I gave up and left without a word.

"I see," said J. "I guess that is a problem, but I have some advice for you. It's easier to talk to someone you've been in a fight with over the phone. Then you don't have to be embarrassed. Call W, and tell her how you feel. Maybe she just had a bad day.

"Thanks!" A replied.

A called W to talk to her, and told her the whole story, but when she finished she heard a click. W hung up on her. A few minutes later she heard the door bell. W was there, and she gave A a big hug. They had made up, and A was peaches and cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment