Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our Kingdom (12/86)

Part I (missing)

Part II

Andrew had just told me that my father had left my mother and that she would not be taking care of us until she was recovered.

"Recovered?? What does she mean by recover? What's wrong with her?" I asked Andrew.

"I'm sorry Kayla, it's... well... she had a minor heart attack when she found out dad was leaving us." he replied.

"MINOR HEART ATTACK?? There is NO SUCH THING as a MINOR HEART ATTACK!"

I calmed down, as I thought about what I recently wrote in the club house capsule notes about how peace is vital. I couldn't believe I was yelling so loud at poor little Andrew.

"I'm sorry Andrew. Is mom alright? Is she ok? Where's dad? Does he love us anymore? Is he coming back? What did mom say before the heart attack? Can we visit her? Well? Are you listening to me, Andrew? Please answer me!" I cried.

My effort to be calm failed me. I wasn't sure what to do. Andrew looked a bit confused until he blurted out, "Mom is alright, dad's moving into the new development near Monte Rae and he still loves us, but we might not get to see him very often. We can visit mom right away. I really meant it when I said mom had a minor heart attack, because when I got to the hospital they said it might not have been a heart attack, and it could have been something I couldn't pronounce!"

Andrew was only ten years old, and he hasn't had a lot of experience in family accidents, because our family is very healthy and none of us have been to the hospital other than when we were born. Actually, I did have my tonsils taken out, but I don't count that since it didn't take very long. I must admit, at sixteen, I can get a trifle moody, but I don't think I'm that much of a bother to my family, and Andrew is a fun brother, which is unusual to say about a sibling.

Back to my story, by this time, after listening to Andrew use up every bit of vocal cord in his body, I had just about contorted my fingers and I was filled with lament. My very own mother could be dying, and I was sitting in a clubhouse, not knowing what to do. I felt horrible...

- TO BE CONTINUED -

Part III

Continued from last week....

I thought to myself for a moment. Why did daddy leave mother? I ran home with Andrew trailing behind me. When I got home, I immediately ran into the hallway and behind the secret passageway and ran up the stairs into the attic.

Eleven years ago, I became very sick with a bad case of influenza. My family tried to think of something to do to cheer me up, so our babysitter, Casaundra, build a special passageway to the attic to be my special place when I got well. Until Julia and I made our clubhouse, I'd spend hours in the attic playing dolls and being by myself. My parents went on a long cruise around the Carribean, as a second honeymoon, leaving us with Casaundra, a 17 year old high school student we had only known for a month. Their decision to leave was quite sudden, but I was so young that I really couldn't understand what was going on. That's when I started to wonder if mom was really dad's first wife. You see, my mother also has a secret passage way to the attic from her bedroom. I haven't found it yet, but I know it's there. The two sections of the attic that we go to are blocked off from each other. One day I was up in the attic, this was before my parents took the cruise. I heard mom crying. She found something important. She was yelling and screaming and most of it was directed to my father, even though I knew he wasn't with her because my mother would never share a real special place with anyone, that is if I'm really related to her.

Anyway, when I found what I was looking for I brought it to my room and sat on my bed wondering what to do. It was a key. A key I found a couple years ago when I was in the attic. I knew I didn't put it there. Today I realized that it must have been mom's. I couldn't think of anything mom had a key to except her black cabinet. I went in her room and tried to open the cabinet. It opened. But, when I opened it, I found a doorway, and inside was a gallery of beautiful paintings. Cherry wood furniture, Golden figures and a suitcase on an embroidered Victorian couch.

Who wanted to leave? Why did mom keep an art gallery in side her black cabinet? Why did dad leave mom? Was it because the paintings were stolen?

TO BE CONTINUED

Part IV

The Conclusion of Our Kingdom

I walked inside the mysterious room. The paintings were from an art gallery in Paris. All the famous names were there - Picasso, Michaelangelo, etc.... I sat down on the Victorian quilt. I turned and opened the leather suitcase. I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was in a deffernt world.

There was a book on top of a lot of clothes. The book belonged to my dad. IT was 1984 by George Orwell. Everything in the suitcase belonged to my dad. All I wanted now was to see him, to hug him and rejoice that he was here with me. I thought, This is where my dad lives, isn't it?

I heard a door slam, Andrew was home. I panicked, and I just didn't know what to do so I ran and slammed the door to the cabinet. Then I heard another slam, but this time it sounded like it was coming from inside the room I was in. I heard someone running toward me, and I turned around. It was dad! I was so happy to see him! I could have cried at that moment! But... my dad pushed me aside and ran towards the door. He tried to open it. It was stuck! He turned to me and said, "Honey, we are in a lot of trouble. We're stuck in here until your mother comes back to get us out, but we can't reach any one outside because this room is invisible, and once the door has been closed from the inside, if it's ever opened again this room won't exist. Your mother knows how to get in though, she's the only one!" I felt like I just shot my best friend. I ruined my father's and my own life. We were going to be stuck forever.

All the sudden the room started to shake, and then rock back and forth. Everything was falling everywhere, and my dad ended up with a concussion. He had been hit with a lamp. Ten minutes later he died. The next second after that I heard a crash, and the room stopped shaking, despite my tears and concern with my father, I wondered what had happened. I was really scared. My brother was screaming for help. I couldn't do anything but bang on the door. I knew he couldn't hear me. He had been cut severely in his stomach. He called my name and I tried to respond. I felt so alone. The ceiling of the room I was in started to rise, and I could see a bright light above. I saw a golden ladder and desperately I started to reach for it. It lowered to my level and I stepped on it. I was raised up onto a cloud, and when I got to my destination, I saw my family, we all hugged, mother was there too, we were all together at last. We were in heaven.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment